1) Program Related Information
a) Lifting the restriction on applying to both Foundation and Project competitions
After receiving feedback from the research community, CIHR has decided to lift the restriction that limits researchers to applying to either the Foundation Grant or Project Grant competition. In the upcoming round of the Investigator Initiated programs, researchers will be able to apply for funding through both competitions. The restriction was originally intended to alleviate anticipated pressure on peer reviewers; however, we feel it is more important to address the concerns raised by the community.
The following policies remain in place, however:
1.If you receive a 2016 Project grant as a Nominated Principal Applicant and go on to receive a Foundation grant as a Program Leader in future years, your Project grant will be rolled into your Foundation grant as is the case for all CIHR Investigator Initiated grants.
2. You cannot submit the same or similar application to overlapping competitions. If, at Stage 2 of the Foundation Grant competition, it becomes obvious that the same application has been submitted to the Project Grant competition, you will be asked to withdraw one of the applications.
2) Funding Opportunities
1a) Launch of CIHR Foundation Grant and Project Grant funding opportunities
CIHR is pleased to announce the launch of the third Foundation Grant competition and second Project Grant competition.
Please note the following key dates:
* Registration period: August 30 to September 13
* Application period – Stage 1: September 14 to October 13 (the application form will be available the day after the registration deadline)
* Funding start date: July 2017
* Registration period: September 8 to September 20
* Application period: September 8 to October 18 (the application form will be available as soon as the registration is submitted)
* Funding start date: April 2017
As noted in the announcements published over the summer months, the next Project Grant competition will be guided by the recommendations from the Peer Review Working Group.
b) Funding opportunities posted between August 18 and August 30, 2016 by CIHR and its partners
The following is a list of funding opportunities which CIHR and its partners posted between August 18 and August 30, 2016.
To view these opportunities, please use the CIHR Funding Opportunity Database.
Simply select the opportunity from the list which is sorted alphabetically.
* Foundation Grant: 2016
* Operating Grant: Population Health Intervention Research
* Other: HSPR Training Modernization Start-Up Grant
* Project Grant: Fall 2016
* Team Grant: Healthy Life Trajectories Initiative (HeLTI) – India
Please refer to the ″Contact Information″ section of the funding opportunity if you have additional questions about the funding opportunity.
3) Application and Funding Policies
1a) Changes to CIHR’s funding requirements for research proposals involving the use of controlled substances
CIHR will no longer require that successful applicants provide a copy of their section 56 exemption certifications from Health Canada, prior to the release of funds. Applicants will continue to self-declare in their application that the proposed research will use controlled substances (by checking the appropriate box in ResearchNet), but this information will only be recorded by CIHR for information purposes.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIHR Wants to Hear from You
Absence does not make the heart grow fonder – CIHR wants to hear from you as much as possible. There is a wonderful story to tell about the results and benefits of health research in Canada, but we need your help to truly make this a page turner. And, we need to keep telling this story. So, we encourage you to let us know when you have or, better still, are close to publishing the results of research funded by CIHR. Please drop us a line at email@example.com.
CIHR welcomes your questions and feedback and is committed to responding to your requests promptly.
Please direct all inquiries to the CIHR Contact Centre. Officers are available Monday to Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET and until 8 p.m. ET on deadline days. Contact Centre
Toll Free: 1-888-603-4178